Monday, November 27, 2017

This Past Year!

It's hard to believe that 2016 is coming to an end.  It's been a stressful year for a few reasons.  April brought leaks in the ceiling in two rooms.  Called for an estimate on fixing the problem and the quote was $6,000.00.  I simply couldn't afford that price so when summer arrived I bought some sealant and did around each shingle with hopes that it might help.  I really don't have much hope for it as that part of the roof is on a very low slope and when the snow piles up and the heat from the house gets up through, the snow starts melting and the water can't run off so the water seeps in through the shingles.   Next year I'll have to come up with something else.  Maybe a thick coating of tar.

I had a dental appointment in early spring because some pieces were chipping off the bonding I had done on my front teeth many years ago.  This wasn't the first time this happened and was repaired.  The dentist told me that as this was happening more often I'd be better off getting those teeth extracted and get a partial plate to replace them.   As he's also a dental surgeon and I'm a frightened mess anytime I have to see the dentist, he said he could remove them at the hospital while I was under anesthetic.    After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to go ahead and have them taken out.  The appointment was made for June.  So, saw the denturist and went through the procedure of having a partial plate made at the cost of just over $1,000.00.

Then, my doctor asked me when I last had a mammogram.   Good heavens, I said, about twenty years ago.  He said he was making an appointment to have one at the hospital.   I think this was in July and I had the appointment in early August.  Anyway, it doesn't matter the date.   So after that I got a call from the doctor's office saying he wanted to see me.  Something showed up in one of my breasts and they wanted to do a more in depth mammogram and an ultra sound on that breast.  Back I go to the hospital and have that done.  The report came back that they couldn't figure what it was so wanted me to see a cancer surgeon.  Went to see him, he examined me and said he couldn't feel anything but wanted to do surgery on the breast and take out what was showing up.  Now it was getting scary.  I didn't know what to think or do.  My mind was going in all directions thinking what I would do if the news was bad.  I'd have to leave here and move closer to a hospital, etc, etc.  I didn't have to wait long.  Everything happened so fast after the results of the first mammogram.  My daughter came to stay with me and take me to the hospital, etc.   I don't know what I would have done without her.   I had the surgery and now it was a waiting game.   I got an appointment with the surgeon within days.  Went to the appointment, very stressed out.  When I saw him he said all was well, it was a benign cyst.  What a sign of relief.  He said it was nice to be able to give someone good news. 

Whew!  haven't talked so much in ages.  So, all is well and as usually once fall came in I started preparing the house and garden for winter.  All done!  At least as much as there's going to be done. 

A picture I took the other day of the Pet Cemetery, or part of it.  Some lovely moss and the Phlox still showing but certainly on it's way out.




1 comment:

Stewart said...

Hi OC, so glad you had good news. Its a worry, you being out in the remote areas alone with a dripping roof! I'm sure you will get it all sorted somehow. Its great to read your blog again, I love it, I feel I am out there with you. All the best for winter. Stewart