Saturday, August 25, 2012

Touch Of Fall in The Air

We've had the most wonderful summer as far as the weather goes.   Everything was a month ahead and so is fall.  Flowers that don't normally bloom until September are in bloom now and most of the potted up annuals have seen their day.   I've been cutting back perennials, another job that I don't usual do for another month or so.   I started lavender plants from seed this spring and finally got them in the ground this week.  Although they are still only small plants, the smell is heady.   I know it's early days, after all it's still August, but this planter looked quite lost and empty with the summer flowers gone so I decided to fill it with some fall decorations I had. 





I haven't taken many pictures of bugs this year, one of my favorite subjects I must admit.  There are loads of bees in the garden which is great to see.  Strangely, I haven't seen any of the larger garden spiders. 

So, here's a lovely butterfly, a butterfly with a bee and a strange looking (moth, maybe) with a bee.







One day last week two dogs came into the garden.  This sent Malachi up a tree.  The boy doesn't look too happy. 






I started these flowers from seed last year, both the yellow and rust.  They were only babies when winter came on and the truth of it is, I had forgotten about them.   You can imagine how pleased I was when they came into bloom this year.  I just love them. 





And, to end off, some neat things I found at the Goodwill on the last visit.






6 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

Oh what a cheery post OC... love the flowers/plants and insects - great flutters :D

Congrats on your seed planting too :D

And all those wonderful goodies from the Goodwill..

The Quacks of Life said...

nice Red Admiral flutter OC!!

Sondra said...

The window box looks great! YOUR first yr seedlings did great...I am going to try starting more seed indoors, the late frost always catches me unaware. Great GoodWill Finds!

Victoria said...

Your planter box is so pretty. I had to laugh when I saw the first picture of the bee and moth; the bee looks like she might be thinking "Oof, get out of the way, you big oaf!" The butterfly photos are gorgeous, I haven't seen too many butterflies here this year...but I'm pretty sure I know where all your big spiders have gone! We've been over-run with them this year.

Poor Malachi! I hope those two dogs don't come back.

I love the things you got at the Goodwill, especially that beautiful punch bowl.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures, especially the first of the moth and the bee. the colour of the flowers is very intense.

You had a good haul of bargains, well done.

Cicero Sings said...

Amazing what one can find in the good will. Here, at the dump, they have what is called a share shed. People take lots of stuff there and it seems to go out as fast as it comes in if it is not pure garbage.

No, Malachi does not look at all happy about the development. Hopefully he got himself down when his antagonists left.