Monday, January 22, 2018

The new year and snow.

We had a great respite from winter when we had a spring thaw a couple of weeks ago.  Just about all the snow disappeared and it had me thinking about stuff to do in the garden come spring.  Alas, it didn't last and now everything is white once again.  I woke up to more snow overnight so I'm now waiting for daylight to go outside and shovel steps, deck, pathway and driveway.  Also have to get some of the snow off roof and shed roof.  The only good part is that I'm getting lots of exercise.

Lots of little Juncos around these days.  I was a bit concerned as I hadn't seen any woodpeckers or squirrels in the garden for some time.  Usually they are here all the time summer and winter.   Lately I've been seeing some at the feeders which gives me great relief.

The cats, of course, are grumbling about the snow.  They don't go out very often and spend a good part of the day sleeping.  The youngest one will occasionally race through the house jump up in the air and land on one of the older ones.  Trying to release some of his energy I expect.

A couple of snow shots.



3 comments:

Alison said...

Gosh, be careful climbing on and off those roofs! Its gone from cold to Spring-like over here this week. Temporarily, but still I took the time today to have a look at the back yard and tidy up a bit. There are wee green shoots from bulbs, mostly bluebells I think, starting to come through. What I could really use is something to discourage the local felines from using the flower beds as a litter box. Being a cat owner yourself, I wondered if you have any suggestions?

Ali

oldcrow61 said...

You're so lucky to have everything green over there this time of year. I envy you that. As to the cat problem. I really don't have any idea what you could do. My cats go outside when they want and do sometimes use the beds as a litter box but as just about all of my plants are established perennials, this doesn't bother them.

Tricia Ryder said...

ah... winter wonderland; I do so love your pictures.. and great to hear the Juncos are visiting.... keep safe climbing over your roofs!!!