Thursday, March 27, 2014

Thursday in March.

Last night the wind was so high with blowing snow that it was battering the house.   I got up several times to make sure everything was secure.  The first time, I had just gotten into bed, turned light off and cuddled down, ready for sleep, when the fire alarm went off.   I got out of bed so fast and out through the living room that  it's all a blur.   The wood stove was back flawing, (wind sending smoke back down the chimney and out the stove.)   I had to take the smoke detector down, something I certainly didn't want to do, but it could have kept up all night.   The wind has  calmed down some this morning and the temperatures have gone up a bit.   I'm still expecting the power to go and as it's still dark, I'm carrying around a small flashlight. 

A couple of days ago I hauled out my box of seeds.   A bit premature but spring has to come sometime and at this point one is chomping at the bit to get out at the garden.   I lost heart in gardening last year what with himself so sick and in and out of hospital.

The cats get frustrated on the days they can't go out because of the snow.   Not much for them to do outside at this point.   The deck was clear of snow for a bit and they did enjoy sitting out in the sun.

Tommy and Freya watching a neighbours cat go by.

  

Tommy and Stanley.


Tommy loving a sun spot inside the house.






Lots of birds about these days.   Here's a few.

Nuthatch.




Woodpecker.





Blue jay.







9 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

My goodness.. you ARE having more than your fair share of bad weather.. sorry you had such a distrubed night.. cats look content though :)

Stay safe ((OC))

Tricia Ryder said...

Oh - and great pics of your bird visitors :)

The Quacks of Life said...

loving the pics of the birds and your adorable cats. Do the cats get on with the neighbourhood cats?

and I hope you get lots of quality time in the garden.

Sondra said...

I hate high wind!! We have it sometimes and it always scares me...because of the tallll big pines near the house. I hope soon you'll be out sowing those seeds! I've put a few things in the ground the winter stuff spinach, kale, etc..and I think I'm going to start some flower seeds indoors for an early start.

Cicero Sings said...

Such handsome cats

Victoria said...

Love the photos of Tommy, Freya, Stanley and the birds! Hopefully, winter will let go soon so spring can arrive. I know it's a terrifying experience to have the smoke alarm go off, but I'm so glad it was only the wind getting down the chimney. That's happened a couple of times here; it nearly frightened me out of my wits (what few are left) each time. I hope it never happens again to you.

Blessings, Victoria

Alison said...

Your photos are beautiful as always. Dare I say its all go with Spring over here?

Ali

Stewart said...

Hi OC, long time no post?

Best wishes...

Victoria said...

OC, just stopping by to say I hope everything is all right...I miss your posts!

Blessings,

Victoria