Monday, July 06, 2009

Feathered Friends and Flowers

I got up around 4:30 am and the rain was coming down in torrents. I figured every tall plant in the garden would be flattened but as luck would have it after the rain they were all standing up straight. It's a wee bit chilly today, only +8 C when I got up but thankfully it's around +14 C at the moment. Himself arrives home in two days from Spain where the temps. have been in the 40's so he's in for quite a shock as we're suppose to have cooler temperatures for the next couple of days. I've been doing very little lately. I seem to have gotten lazy all of a sudden and am just basically lazing around. Oh I've stuck a few plants in the ground that a friend gave me, cleaned the chicken house, baked some sweets, general house work, but not done anything that takes a lot of labour.

There have been few birds around. The Hummingbird Hawk moth has been here for a few days. Not hanging around for long though. Seems to be just checking in then flying off. There's been a crow hanging around always waiting for me to put some leftovers on the platform feeder.

The poppies have been blooming this week. They don't last very long but a beautiful sight never the less.











9 comments:

Stewart said...

Hi OC. A few posts back you had a hovering moth you thought might be a hummingbird hawkmoth. Its a Broad bordered Bee Hawkmoth, over here they are much raraer than hummers! Try Googling it...

S...

I wish we could get a Pine Grosbeak...one of these autumns....

oldcrow61 said...

Stewart, I've googled the moth and it looks like your right. You'll have to come over here and see the Pine Grosbeak, lol.

The Quacks of Life said...

lovely poppies oc. enjoy your last 2 days

Tricia Ryder said...

And why not be lazy?

Wonderful colour of the poppies OC but as you say - they go over so quickly.

Could you send some Pine Gosbeaks over here for a wee holiday please? (They'd probably feel at home in the rain we've been having too!)

Janine said...

Your garden looks beautiful. I guess Himself will come home with a nice tan?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos as always OC. We still have poppies in bloom over here. They seem to thrive all Summer on this side of the Pond.

Ali

Roses and Lilacs said...

Good morning, your photos are wonderful. I planted poppies this year, hope they turn out as beautifully as yours. I agree they go by quickly but for a few days they are glorious. They don't take up much room either so why not have lots;)
Marnie

oldcrow61 said...

Pete, I've enjoyed my last two days, lol.
Tricia, wish I could send you some Pine Grosbeaks. They've been around since early spring. First time they've stayed so long.
Janine, I've no doubt at all that himself will have a lovely tan.
Ali, I have poppies that bloom all summer but they're the annual ones.
Roses and Lilacs,Yep those particular poppies are glorious. No trouble either, they just do their thing and that's all there is to it.

Cicero Sings said...

Oh, I do love poppies.

So your solitude is over. It is nice to have a season of "aloneness".