Friday, July 24, 2015

Wet and Cold July.

It's July 24 and a balmy +8 outside.   Sorry to be complaining about the weather so much but really........it's suppose to be summer.   Didn't have one this year.   They say it's the worse July in almost half a century.   I've been burning wood all month and myself and everyone else are totally fed up.

We had heavy, heavy rain three days ago that lasted all one day and night.   It flattened most of my large plants to the ground.   I'm devastated.   My poor peonies as well.   They were looking so lovely with huge blooms.   This picture taken the day before. 





One of the rose bushes that's heavily laden with blooms and buds was brought to the ground.   Again this taken the day before.





All the plants that are on the ground, even when the sun does finally show its face and dries things up, won't recover.   Ah well, as my mother says, there's nothing we can do about it.   What amazes me is with all the cold weather the plants have been doing really well.

Here are some pictures taken when there were a few glimpses of sun.








8 comments:

Mike said...

You mark my words, this global warming will be the death of us all ;-)

Sondra said...

Peonies don't do well in heavy rain, I had no blooms this year on mine...Can't figure that out..the deer have eaten me down to nothing this year...hope it warms up some for you before Fall arrives!!

oldcrow61 said...

I think you might be right Mike.

Alison said...

July hasn't been good over here either, though not so cold as yours. Outside of this month though, we can't complain. I think,you sent that rain over my way too, judging by the downpours yesterday and this morning. Thanks ever so! I hope August is better for you.

Ali

Victoria said...

That's too bad about your plants. Hopefully, the next spring and summer will be a good one. Here in California it's the exact opposite. Plants, trees, etc., are dying from heat and no water. Most people are seriously scared, here in these mountains, of dying in a forest fire. How I wish I could send you our warmth and dry weather in exchange for cooler temperatures and lots of rain!

Blessings,

Victoria

Roses and Lilacs said...

I sympathize. We had one doozy of a wind that flattened most of my garden. I was out picking up blow down sticks and making plant supports so I could enjoy the flattened blooms.

Anonymous said...

Such a sad story, I do sympathise. We haven't had much heat this July, hoping August is better.

Tricia Ryder said...

So sorry... and horrid not to have sun and warmth and summer... not a god one here in the UK either... even had a night frost warning in parts of the UK the other night.