Friday, December 05, 2008

We've had Snow!

But first, for Lily, who wanted to know how I did the wreaths. It's quite simple really. At times during the year I have to cut back branches of Alders and Willows. I keep the thinner ones, take the leaves off, make a circle by joining them here and there with wire, adding more branches as I go along, depending on how thick and big I want the circle. Then I just hang it up inside the house somewhere to dry until I need it. Then I buy the fake spruce garland, usually comes in 9 ft. lengths. I wrap that around the base (circle of branches) until I get the fullness I want. If it's a large wreath I often use two garlands. A bit of wire here and there keeps it attached. Then anytime I come across pine cones or anything else around that I find interesting, I pick it up and keep until I may need it. The fruit, berries, etc. I buy. I want the wreaths to last for years that's why I use fake garland and the fruit and berries. I then get my wonderful Black and Decker glue gun and start adding the decorations. The herbal wreaths I make are with the herbs from the garden that I dry for a couple of weeks, then glue them onto the bare circle of branches.

Ok, snow.....
Woke up yesterday morning with everything outside white with snow. Mind you, it wasn't much, maybe an inch. Still it looked quite pretty and the air was so fresh and crisp. It warmed up overnight and this morning the ground is bare. I've been terribly busy all this week and have hardly had time to read blogs. This morning I have someone coming to hopefully fix my oven. We tried to fix the new thermostat on ourselves yesterday, took the back off the stove, saw all the wires that needed to be attached to the thermostat and promptly put the back on again. lol Frankly I'm getting a wee bit agitated at this point as I want to do some baking.

A few pictures from yesterday morning.




Another idea for a simple basket. I'm going to fill this one with nuts.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey snow at last! LOL LOL LOL
What a wonderful scenery, makes me want to go for a walk!

Beautiful basket, you've said you are going to fill it with nuts so I take it taht the basket is the christmas - gift for your lovely squirrels? LOL LOL LOL

oldcrow61 said...

Noooooo! not for squirrels, lol

Tricia Ryder said...

What amazing scenery the snow makes OC - and your pictures are wonderful - especially the red berries and ice-covered seed heads - just my cup of tea :).

Cindy said...

... we had snow 2 weeks ago, but it only lasted 'til tea time! There's been snoooo oop narth this week, but us southern lightweights haven't seen any here 'darn sarth'! PS I like your wreaths, very pretty.

The Wessex Reiver said...

Is that basket big enough for him indoors oldcrow.... you keep saying he's nuts (sic):-)

Just had more photos from Sudbury, about 3 feet over there and the snow blower isn't behaving itself either....

..... if Ido get over there I'll be sure to pop in for a cup of tea and a chat, thats what us Brits do!

Cicero Sings said...

Hi OC

Thanks for the lesson on wreath making. I have some willows that I have to lop back every year ... now I know what to do with them! I like that basket too.

We had snow last night too!

Cis

oldcrow61 said...

lol BR, good one about him indoors and the basket. Yeah, parts of Ontario have been hit with a lot of snow this past while. Would love to have you come by if you ever get over this way.

Joan@CopperCreeker said...

Second picture is my favorite.
You've got me wanting to start making some decorations.