Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sunday was a lovely sunny day, or maybe it was Monday, so spent the whole day in the garden at one thing or another. I put new plastic on the smaller greenhouse, which meant up on the ladder for the roof part. A wind came up so had a bit of trouble holding the plastic down while nailing slates on. Anyway, I finally finished it. Just have to re-do the door of the larger greenhouse. Walking up the property, the Black and White Warbler flew by in front of me...no picture. Then I took a break and sat on the deck watching a male and female Woodpecker at one of the feeders by the deck. The female flew to a branch on a tree about 25 ft. away. The male looked over at her and also flew to the branch. Then he got sort of over her and made out, lol. I couldn't believe it, first time I've seen that. When finished, he flew back to the feeder and started eating again. His job done. Then after a couple of minutes she flew off and he followed.

Yesterday, although we did get a bit of drizzle off and on, I finished off the fence that I had started repairing and hauled off the wood from the archway that was knocked down. Himself keeps bringing back stuff from other peoples junk that they have by the side of the road for clean up. I don't know what I'm going to do with him. He keeps saying, "But this is good, we may be able to use it some time." lol

Parents are coming tomorrow. It's also my mothers birthday and my daughter phoned this morning and guilted me into making a birthday cake. Will have to do that sometime today. Raining at the moment but suppose to clear up.

This is what happens to the mess bags of food I put out. Such clever birds. Can't help but love em!



12 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

The cake I most like for my birthday is ginger cake, drizzled with rum sauce, topped with whipped cream. Mmmm. What kind did you make?

oldcrow61 said...

Oh my, your cake sounds delicious. What kind did I make? Now I'm blushing...went to the store just now and as I was going by the bakery section, I saw cakes there at a good price, just as cheap as I could make one so I bought a lovely one with chocolate icing and the top is nicely decorated.

Jan said...

The collecting of useless (to us) junk must be a "man thing" I think. I seem to have got one of those too now in Alan, I was horrified at the crap in his garden that he had acquired from other peoples' throw aways! Oh well, it's his garden....!

Hope the cake is nice, you sound like me, I can't see the point in spending a fortune on ingredients, and taking a chance how the cake will turn out when you have a beauty sitting there looking at you in the supermarket and you just know it's going to be delicious.... and no washing up!

oldcrow61 said...

lol Jan, too true on both accounts.

nicola said...

thought it would be fresh cream now jan (wink wink)

Oc, I hope you cleaned the cobwebs you know what mums are like!

Hope you have a lovely time with them..any drunkness we want photos!!

oldcrow61 said...

lol Nic, you're on..any drunkenness and there will be pictures.

The Quacks of Life said...

pictures of parents.

they are smart birds

Janine said...

Yet men complain about how many different types of (insert here one of the following as applicable: clothes, shoes, makeup, handbags, cameras, etc) that WE have! At least we use it and its not someone elses junk!

Cindy said...

These certainly are clever birds ... when we were at an animal sanctuary in Finland one of the aviaries had a pair of these birds (Crow family?) and as we stood watching them, one of them flew to the ground just the other side of the chain-link fence, picked up a short twig and poked it through a gap in the fence at ground level. Himself went to take the stick and the bird moved his head backwards so he couldn't grab it! This carried on for several minutes, we were amazed at the bird's little game! He seemed to be enjoying it as much as we were. In the end Himself made a concerted effort and grabbed the twig and the bird pushed with his feet and pulled with his beak and got the twig away from us but not before lots of bad-tempered crow noises (from the bird not Himself)! This bird had obviously done this before. I did email the animal sanctuary and told them about their clever inmate, but I never received a reply. I don't know why people say 'bird brained' 'cos it aint true! Nice pix by the way xxx

oldcrow61 said...

Wow, Cindy, what a great story.

Cindy said...

I've posted some photos of the clever crow on my blog xxx

ST said...

Janine- JUNK!, It will come in handy......... well sometime.

Oc -one of my favorites