Sunday, April 15, 2007

April 15th, Flurries...Yech!!!!

Last week we had three lovely days in a row. Sunny and about +5C. I did get a lot done outside, however still so much left to do. I see lots of winter damage now that the snow has left the ground. Some of the trees came down and others have large branches broken off. Part of the fence along the front is on the ground and where I had another part of the fence built up high with arches made of branches to support heavy vines has all come down. The smaller greenhouse has all the plastic blown out of it and it's in tatters. The frame is fine but will have to re-do the plastic. I have to stain the floor of the back deck as well. There is lots of weeding and moving of plants left so between it all I will be very busy.

Yesterday, while a seemingly decent day, was bitterly cold. I did make three attempts at working outside but got so cold I finally had to give it up. Now today they are calling for flurries. Now I have to be content with the fact that I will get nothing done today.

The chickens are with me all the time as I'm working around the property. We chat back and forth to each other. They have been having a grand time. Occasionally I find a couple of plants laying on the grass having been kicked out of the beds by the hens, however, they are doing a great job of weeding. Pictured below is Grumbles, I decided to take a break for a few minutes a couple of days ago and she decided to do the same thing, lol.

5 comments:

Jan said...

Sounds like you have a lot to do in the garden like me. I've been painting the front wooden fence panels this past two days with preservative, partly rotted though, but the ones round the back are beyond it and all need replacing this summer, going to be expensive, I need 7 and I won't be able to fit them myself, too heavy and awkward, so will have to hire someone. There's endless stuff needs doing here sigh.

Love the chicken though, they do like to help don't they? Diddy was helping me dig away the bank behind my old shed before that rots away too with all the wet mud up against it.

Janine said...

Cute girl and lovely name!

The Quacks of Life said...

am I allowed to mention it was about 26c or 78f here yesterday ;)

oldcrow61 said...

Thanks Pete, just what I wanted to hear, lol.

Jan, I think we are in the same boat when it comes to what we have to do outside. So much work. Glad to hear that Diddy is helping you as well.

Janine, She is called Grumbles because she seems to be always grumbling about everything. Quite a character.

Anonymous said...

Love the Chicken picture!! Grumbles - I grew up with chickens always around - they can be characters!!