Wednesday, May 02, 2007

May 2nd.

Not much to say really except that the weather has been miserable for so long now that it has me in a rotten mood. Sunday morning I woke up to snow covered ground. Temperatures have been hovering around +4 C. Looking at the long range forecast, this could go on until the middle of May. Mud and water all over. Do I sound pissed off, I AM!

Went out early this morning to feed chickens and coming back to the house I slipped on the mud and did an interesting little dance down to the house. My only laugh for the day I expect. Speaking of chickens....they have the gardens torn to pieces. Not only do I keep finding younger plants kicked out of the beds and soil kick out all over the lawn but the established older plants now have all their roots showing. I keep filling in the holes with wheelbarrow full of compost but it's to no avail. Not only do they kick all that out but they eat all the worms that are in it. I never had a bunch of scallywags like this before.

Parents are coming tomorrow for a few days. The green houses have opened for the season so I'm looking forward to my mom and I going there to see what plants are available. If the weather would get decent I could get my dad to help me re-cover the smaller greenhouse as the winter winds blew the plastic to pieces.

Lots of woodpeckers here yesterday and the fox sparrow keeps coming around. Got a few pictures.







6 comments:

Jan said...

Aww poor OC. I know what you mean about the chickens, I gave up trying to have a nice back garden here, I just stuck to large bushy shrubs, but fenced the front off to have a decent bit of garden where they couldn't get! Hope the weather cheers up soon for you. Lovely birdy pics as always.

oldcrow61 said...

lol Jan, I figured you'd know what I was talking about both with the weather and chickens. I'm just going to have to put up with both of it I suppose. They are clearing out the weeds though.

Janine said...

The fox sparrow is so cute.

Mo said...

Don't want to gloat but Scotland is basking in a heatwave just now! Lovely woodpeckers.

oldcrow61 said...

lol Mo, so I've heard.

nicola said...

lovely oc, you are doing so well with your camera