Thursday, June 28, 2007

June 28th.

It took me three days but I finally finished cleaning and sorting the books. Roger took eight boxes of books to the Goodwill the first day and the woman told him that they couldn't take anymore until next week. By the time I finished, yesterday, there were nine more boxes. I wanted to go to Glovertown to buy a long planter to go under the kitchen window and as the car was full of all these boxes, Roger said he was going to stop at the Goodwill and beg her to take them now. Well....without telling me as I waited in the car, he told her we were having company and really needed to get these boxes out of the house. So, he comes out of the shop and starts bringing the boxes in and the woman comes out chatting with me and says how long is your company coming for. I say, company? There's no company coming. Duh!! It clicked in my brain that this is what he must have told her so I immediately said, well not for a week. I don't normally tell fibs but what could I do....sigh!

We then went to the greenhouses. At this point the plants are all over grown and root bound and all I could hear were hundreds of flowers yelling "Take me, take me, I'm dying here". I came home with more plants than I needed but at least I gave some a chance.

My neighbor, who is an animal lover, phoned and said her husband was bringing a bag of garbage out to the box for pick up when she looked out the window and saw him in the middle of the road swinging the bag around. She couldn't figure what on earth he was doing so when he came back in she asked him. He said there was a grouse with a pile of little chicks on the road and he was trying to get them off to the side in case a car came by. He did get them off to the side and they went on their way.

Roger said that on his early morning walk yesterday morning he saw a squirrel in the middle of the road dragging a dead baby rabbit across. I couldn't believe it! Do squirrels really eat things like that?

This one is for you Jan....a young squirrel in the garden.

9 comments:

Jan said...

Awww thanks, so cute!

Maybe the squirrel was trying to save the rabbit? I guess they do eat meat though, they take baby birds don't they? But didn't know about actually eating carrion. Must find out now.

oldcrow61 said...

The rabbit was definitely dead. The squirrel dropped it as Roger got close and he had a look at it. Let me know if you find any information about squirrels eating carrion.

Janine said...

Flying squirrels are supposed to be the only carnivorous North American squirrel. But this blog post shows otherwise:
http://www.dausettrails.com/
carnosquurl.htm

This site says they can prey on nestling birds:
http://www.nuisancewildlife.net/
squirrel.htm

Anonymous said...

maybe the squirrel was just wanting to bury his friend, or is on a mission to keep Newfoundland beautiful, or thought rabbit stew would make a good change from that same old seed you keep feeding him!!
muahahahahaha...

Anonymous said...

actually squirrels do eat meat, and bunny brains..you can learn about it here..nothing gross..
http://www.scarysquirrel.org/special/chew/

oldcrow61 said...

I beg your pardon!!!!!I don't feed them the same old seed all the time, my squirrels get lasagna, pizza, chips, raisin buns, etc. lol

Anonymous said...

see, and he was thinking, hmm, raisins, chips, pizza bits, in the pot with bunny brains, some buns on the side and he could have a real dinner for him and friends.

Anonymous said...

hey that is crazy! what a funny picture to imagine...hey heres a great site!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,835154,00.html

oldcrow61 said...

Ha, ha, ha, Laurie. Hi Hils, that is so funny.